For my environment I will be using a single Standard Edition Front End Server. The recommended hardware Requirements are as follows:
CPU – 64-bit dual processor, hex-core, 2.26 gigahertz (GHz) or higher
Memory – 32 gigabytes (GB)
Disk – At least 72GB
Network: 1 dual-port network adapter, 1 Gbps or higher (2 network adapters can be used, but they need to be teamed with a single MAC address and a single IP address).
To begin with I will go with half the recommendations as in my experience they always over egg these things! Our environment is quite small and we can always up the resources later.
- Create NIC Team: http://blogs.technet.com/b/kevinholman/archive/2012/06/02/windows-server-2012-creating-a-nic-team-for-load-balancing-and-failover.aspx
- Check for Windows Updates
- Install server roles:
Add-WindowsFeature NET-Framework-Core, RSAT-ADDS, Windows-Identity-Foundation, Web-Server, Web-Static-Content, Web-Default-Doc, Web-Http-Errors, Web-Dir-Browsing, Web-Asp-Net, Web-Net-Ext, Web-ISAPI-Ext, Web-ISAPI-Filter, Web-Http-Logging, Web-Log-Libraries, Web-Request-Monitor, Web-Http-Tracing, Web-Basic-Auth, Web-Windows-Auth, Web-Client-Auth, Web-Filtering, Web-Stat-Compression, Web-Dyn-Compression, NET-WCF-HTTP-Activation45, Web-Asp-Net45, Web-Mgmt-Tools, Web-Scripting-Tools, Web-Mgmt-Compat, Server-Media-Foundation, BITS
4. Create a File Share on the server. Add the local Administrators group on the server hosting the file share, grant Allow: Full Control, Change, and Read rights, and then click Share.
5. Install Administrative tools from SFB Iso.
Once you have completed the updates and license agreement click “Install Administrative Tools”
6. Click prepare Active Directory
Follow each step one by one.
7. Create DNS records – The existing Lync 2010 DNS records should be sufficient for the deployment. The traffic will be redirected through the 2010 server to SFB. The Web Scheduler Simple URL is a new record which does not exist in previous versions. We need to add this:
scheduler.domain.local A record
8. Create and publish new topology –
Click “Prepare first Standard Edition Server”
Once complete open Topology Builder and select “Download Topology from Existing Environment”
Expand Skype for Business Server 2015 and Right click Standard Edition Front End Servers then New Front End Pool.
Select the features you wish to use:
For my deployment I am choosing to Collocate the Mediation Server.
On the next page, ensure you UN-check Enable an Edge Pool
Click next for “Define SQL Store”
Select Use previously defined file share and select the share you created earlier
Define Web Services URL:
I don’t have an Office Web Apps Server yet. We can add this later. Click finish.
Go back to Topology builder and right click your Standard Edition Front End server and go properties.
Scroll down to Associate Edge pool and select the 2010 server.
Go to Action/ Publish to commit the changes. Click Next
9. Install Skype for Business Server System
Run the deployment wizard and click “Install or Update Skype for Business Server System”
Follow each step one by one
Step 1: Install the local configuration Store
Install the following KB before completing the next step: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2982006
Step 2: Setup or Remove Skype for Business Server Components
Step 3: Request, Install or Assign Certificates
Step 4: Start Services
Right click SKB Management Shell and click “Run as Administrator”
from the PowerShell prompt execute:
Step 5: Enable Microsoft Update
10. Verify the Topology
For my tests I’m going to move a test user from 2010 to SFB and verify functionality.
Step 1: Open SFB Server 2015 Control Panel and go to Users. Search for a user you want to move
Go to Action / Move selected users to pool…
Change the Destination registrar pool to the FE on the new server
Test IM between users, calls and any other functionality you like to use.
Migrate 2010 Edge Server
Deploy Archive Monitoring Role